Goal-setting will not only get you to a successful place, it is an absolutely necessary ingredient on the road to success. Setting goals may seem like a daunting task, but with a process or system to guide you, it can be quite simple.One of my favorite books, “Eat That Frog” by Brian Tracy offers such a process. Follow these seven steps for goal setting and you will find yourself on the road to success:
- Decide exactly what you want. Spend the time necessary to get very clear about what you want as an outcome.
- Write it down. The simple act of writing your goals on paper gives you a tangible form to remind you of your goals. I like to post my goals so I see them frequently throughout the day.
- Set a deadline on your goal; set sub-deadlines if necessary. This step helps you stay accountable.
- Make a list of everything that you can think of that you are going to have to do to achieve your goal. This act gives you mental “white space” so you can focus.
- Organize the list into a plan. You can organize your list by priority and sequence.
- Take action on your plan immediately! Do something – do anything because without action, you just have a really pretty plan.
- Resolve to do something every single day that moves you toward your major goal. Put time on your calendar each day to do a specific task on your list to reach your goals and commit to that time.
That’s it! You are on your way to goal setting, and even more importantly, goal achieving.
Content copyright 2012. Dr. Maria J. Church. All rights reserved.